OUR MISSION & VISION
NOTRE DAME SCHOOL is an international catholic school that educates future leaders nurturing the intellectual, social emotional and physical development of all its members in an inclusive student-centered environment, focusing on developing the 21st Century skills using technology, science, arts, ethics, environmental education, and sports within local and international environments, educating citizens that will serve their communities and the world.
Our vision is to be recognized as global and digital leaders who have achieved change within their own education system, to be known as an innovative school with cutting-edge technology from around the world, that demonstrates a commitment to innovation and the ability to overcome
obstacles in preparing students to be 21st century learners, who are leaders and advocates for diversity, equity, and social justice as global and digital citizens.
NEW ENGLAND ASSOCIATION OF SCHOOLS & COLLEGES (NEASC)
NOTRE DAME SCHOOL is accredited by New England Association of Schools & Colleges (NEASC), founded in 1885, the NEASC has been working to establish and maintain high standards for all levels of education, from Pre-K to the doctoral level, longer than any other accreditation agency in the United States. The Association is located in Boston, Massachusetts and validates Notre Dame School students grades and diplomas all over the United States of America.
COUNCIL OF INTERNATIONAL SCHOOLS (CIS)
The Council of International Schools accredits NOTRE DAME SCHOOL,
and its vision is to inspire the development of global citizens through high quality international education: connecting ideas, cultures and educators from every corner of the world.
CIS is established in London, UK and its members have committed to actively develop global citizenship in education through ethics, diversity, global issues, communication, service, leadership, and sustainable lifestyle.
CIS accreditation validates Notre Dame School students grades and diplomas all over the world.
NATIONAL HONOR SOCIETY (NHS)
NOTRE DAME SCHOOL has a chapter in the National Honor Society giving medals and certificates of excellence to all the High Honor Roll students with Grade point average of 3.8 and above. These honor students awards are also recognize in the United States of America and are subject to obtain scholarships in universities all over the United States.
NASA's GLOBE Program
Notre Dame School is a member since 1996; this program connects students and teachers with renown scientist from 112 countries.
MICROSOFT INNOVATIVE SHOWCASE SCHOOL
Notre Dame School is internationally recognized by MICROSOFT Corporation as the leader in technology education in Latin America since 2010.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
NDS Board of Directors (NDS-BD) is a group of eminent professionals, well known in the Dominican Society, who help to make decisions on major School issues.
The six points below outline the major responsibilities of NDS-BD:
i.-Recruit, supervise, retain, evaluate and compensate the Headmistress.
ii.-Provide direction for the organization.
iii.-Establish a policy based governance system.
iv.-Govern the organization and the relationship with the Headmistress.
v.-Fiduciary duty to protect the organization’s assets and member’s investment.
PARENT TEACHER ORGANIZATION (PTO)
The NOTRE DAME School PTO is a nonprofit parent/teacher organization whose membership includes all parents, legal guardians and staff at Notre Dame School.
The PTO’s mission is to promote open communication and understanding between parents and staff of the Notre Dame School. Our efforts serve to enhance and maximize the education of every child while aiding them in achieving their highest potential.
The PTO sponsors assistance to teachers in classroom setting, holds fund-raisers for supplemental educational materials and experiences, supports school and family social interaction, and provides a non-biased forum for sharing information on issues that impact our children.
It is our belief that the team effort of a parent teacher organization offers the best possible learning environment for our children.
The Student Council is a governance figure representing students. Through this, they become involved in school life, working in partnership with school management, staff, and parents.
The School Counselor is the person appointed to instruct and facilitate the formation of the Student Council every year as indicated by Orden Departamental 5’97 from the Ministry of Education of the Dominican Republic.
In our school, the requirement of being part of the National Honor Society or any of its branches is added to the requirements to be elected as a Council member.
DEFINITION OF GLOBAL CITIZENSHIP
Global citizenship is premised on a humanistic approach to education, which emphasizes a “creative harmonization” of diversity. It is defined as the ability of individuals to reveal their unique qualities and develop individual characteristics such as courage, wisdom, and compassion so that they may empathize with others and “open doors to peaceful coexistence with the rest of humanity within the context of local, national, and international communities.
DEFINITION OF DIGITAL CITIZENSHIP
Digital citizenship is the appropriate, responsible, and empowered use of technology as individuals learn, communicate, create, innovate, and participate in local and global environments.
1. We believe that all human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. We are committed to respecting and protecting the rights of all children, ensure their safety and promote their well-being.
2. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, marital status, and sexual orientation.
3. We believe that all students have diverse interests, abilities, and capabilities that should be developed to their full potential by encouraging intellectual curiosity, independent thinking and creativity.
4. We strive to provide students with multicultural and global understanding by engaging them in meaningful activities that connect learning to life experiences in a global, digital and multicultural context, using bilingual and interdisciplinary approaches.
5. We provide learning opportunities, which are developmentally and cognitively appropriate to ensure that all students experience high-quality learning to their fullest potential and become lifelong learners, who are critical learners and problem solvers.
6. We understand the importance of nurturing students’ different ways of processing information. We model ways for students to communicate ideas effectively with diverse audiences.
7. We believe that we learn and work best in an environment, which is safe, stable, transparent, and nurturing, and based on trust and mutual respect.
8. We recognize that family and community engagement play a critical role in a child’s development and success in school and life. We are committed to working closely with family and community to ensure that students achieve their optimal state of physical, social-emotional, cognitive, and spiritual well-being. We encourage and support parents/guardians to engage in leadership and advocacy initiatives, and to act in the best interests of their children.
9. We are committed to providing students with the necessary skills to become self-directed learners, empathetic, socially and emotionally competent, and who value and understand themselves, others, and their place in the world. We model ways for students to articulate and explain such perspectives thoughtfully and respectfully.
10. We are committed to developing students who are endowed with reason and conscience and act in harmony with one another. We encourage and support students to act in their communities, view themselves as global and digital citizens in the world and reflect on their participation.
11. We embrace a robustly diverse school community and value and practice inclusion, equity, and social justice. We are committed to infusing diversity, equity, and social justice in all aspects of school life.
12. We are committed to cultivating graduates who are leaders and advocates for diversity, equity, and social justice as global and digital citizens.
WE ARE NOTRE DAME!
NOTRE DAME SCHOOL's magic is on!
We dream more, we do more, we aim higher!